Saturday, December 19, 2009

DIV versus TABLE

As I was working through Chibi Heroes, one of the testers ask me a question "why did you use tables? That is so dot-com, man. You should use divs. You need to keep up with the semantics web, you know?"

I was taken aback. I smack my forehead yelling "argh! Why didn't I see that coming!"

What am I missing, you ask? Dot-com? Web 2.0? passé a few years back. Now it is semantics web. The new in thing. CSS, semantic web, SEO, accessibility, etc. I'm missing out on the bandwagon again! I am missing out on all the glorious layout CSS can provide me, the way that dot-com companies are missing out on all the pinball machines and free flow soda and pizza lunches. I should go all out on the beautiful semantic accessibility tags (I don't know wtf this means but it sure is important to semantics extremist!) the way that dot-com companies go all out in spending for a penthouse office, golden topped table, and couches that cost $40,000.

Imagine you come up with a website that serves millions of people by using TABLE. Now compare that to a website that semantics extremist created which serves the population of Antartica (130 people hah!), even though it is using the latest SEO techniques, DIVs, blah blah blah.

Dude, wake up. It's not about you, it's the customer, stupid. It's about KISS : Keep It Simple Stupid. Stop, take a breath, and think about it. You are putting up a web page to make money to pay yourself and your workers. You customers don't care if your page is rendered in div or table! All they care is the end result. A web page that display data, images, and buttons to click. Trying to say otherwise is tantamount to idiocracy. :)

You, my TABLE friend, is a winner. You keep doing whatever works for your millions of customer rather than what an ivory tower guy with 130 customer tells you to do, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment